At Sacred Heart Primary School, we use the Letters and Sounds phonics programme which aims to build upon children's speaking and listening skills as well as preparing them for learning to read by developing their phonic knowledge and skills. The programme follows a detailed and
systematic approach for teaching phonic skills for children with the aim of them becoming fluent readers by the age of seven. Letters and Sounds is split into 6 phases. For additional information please look at the appendix for details regarding what children will learn in each phase.
- To develop phonetic skills which lead to blending and reading fluently.
- Promote confidence and positive attitudes towards reading.
- Teach children the skills they need to understand and analyse what they read
- Teach children the skills to progress confidently with their spelling and writing.
- Promote and encourage good home/school reading using a wide variety of literature
- To monitor each child’s progress through the use of a range of assessment strategies.
- To support those who are progressing slowly in acquiring reading skills through a supported phonics intervention.